Researchers have discovered that home and small-office wireless routers are being hacked regularly and more than ever. Since early 2014, 300,000+ home devices were reported as infected. These are common household devices, such as Apple AirPort, NetGear, and Linksys routers. Attackers are able to modify these devices to access your personal wireless network and conduct malicious activity.
What this means for you:
1. Hacked systems significantly lower the speed of your Internet connection
2. More expensive power bills as Internet use increases
3. Your Internet service provider (ISP) may disconnect you due to “criminal activity”
• Update the software on these devices at least once per year
• Protect home wireless devices by using a firewall
• Buy a new wireless router
Note: If your router is more than three years old, it’s simply not able to provide the best protection. The safest choice is to purchase a new one. My recommendation is this Linksys Wireless Router.